Practice Karthika Vrata @ Home
1. Chant at least 108 times Hare Krishna Maha Mantra
2. Place a picture of Yashoda Damodara at Altar
3. Offer Ghee Lamp to Yashoda Damodara at least once a day
4. Sing Damodarastakam while offering the lamp.
Practice Karthika Vrata comin to Temple
The simplest and most powerful way
1. Take darshan of the most beautifully decorated form of Lord Damodara
2. Attend the temple arati @ 6:30 pm
3. Sing with devotees and offer the Lamp to Lord
Glories Of Karthik Month
1. “In the month of Kartik, which is very dear to Sri Hari, one who bathes early in the morning attains the merit of bathing in all places of pilgrimage. Anybody who offers the Lord a ghee lamp in the month of Kartik, O brahmana, becomes free from all kinds of sins, such as killing a brahmana, and he goes to the abode of Lord Hari.” – Brahma Vaivarta Purana
2. Lord Sri Krishna says, “Of all plants, the sacred Tulasi is most dear to me; of all months, Kartik is most dear, of all places of pilgrimages, My beloved Dwarka is most dear, and of all days, Ekadasi is the most dear.” (Padma Purana, Uttara Khand 112.3)
3. “As Sat-yuga is the best yugas (ages), as the Vedas are the best among scriptures, as Ganga is best of rivers, so Kartik is the best of months, the most dear to Lord Krishna’. (Skanda Purana).
4. “The result one obtains by giving ten thousand cows in charity can be obtained by offering only one tulasi leaf to the Supreme Lord during the month of Kārttika.” (7.335)
5. “If somebody performs even a little worship of Lord Shri Hari in this month, He offers that devotee His own abode.”
6. “If somebody burns a lamp in the temple of Lord Shri Hari even for a short time (in the month of Kartik), then whatever sins, he has acquired for millions of kalpas (one kalpa equals 1000 yugas) are all destroyed.”
7. “A person, who for the entire month of Kartik eats only once a day, becomes very famous, powerful and heroic.”
8. “A person who happily reads the Bhagavad Gita in the month of Kartik does not return to the world of birth and death.”
9. “Of all gifts, the gift of a lamp during the month of Kartik is the best. No gift is its equal.”
10. “The pious result obtained by bathing in all holy places and giving all charities is not equal to one ten-millionth part of the result obtained by following the vow of Kartik.”
Detailed Karthik Vrata:
- Daily offer a ghee lamp to Krishna and sing the Damodarastakam, meditating on meaning.
- One should always remember Supreme Lord Hari. Devotees should try to do more Harinam Chanting. Do extra rounds and more kirtana.
- Hear Srimad Bhagavatam, daily in association of exalted Vaisnavas, if possible. All other duties should be given up in favor of hearing the scriptures from sadhus during this month. It is most beneficial to recite and read Gajendra Moksha Lila-stava from 8th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam, which teaches complete surrender/dependence of Supreme Lord.
- Daily offer lamp to Tulsi devi and pray for eternal residence in Vrndavana and eternal service of the lotus feet of Radha and Krishna. Do 4 parikrama (circumbulation) of Tulasi.
- Give in charity to deserving vaishnavas/Brahmanas.
- Visit holy places such as Vrindavana-Dhama,Sri Dhama Mayapur & Jagannatha Puri &take bath in sacred waters(Radha-Kunda,Ganges, etc)
- Eat only prasadam.
- Daily recite Siksastaka of Sriman Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and meditate on its meaning. Read the commentary on Sikastaka by Bhaktivinod Thakur.
- Daily Read the the Updeshamrata of Srila Rupa Goswami .
- Make nice offerings for Krishna. Devotees should observe the festival of Annakuta, Giriraj Govardhan Puja,Diwali,etc. (BVT :”festvals are the monther of devotion)
- Associate more with devotees.
- Practice brahmacharya – celibacy.
Every day, devotees come to the Temple and offer a ghee lamp to Lord Damodara. The Damodarastakam, a series of eight beautiful verses by the great sage Satyavrata Muni is sung daily in the evening.